Virtual School Tour: Rocketship Rise Academy
DCSRN recently launched the virtual school tour of Rocketship Rise Academy, a quality public charter school in Ward 8. Step inside classrooms and watch 1st graders practice their language skills, dance along as 2nd graders show off their moves, and find out why one parent was "blown away" when he saw what Rocketship had to offer.
Jana, a Ward 8 parent, had already begun to conduct her own research into possible schools online when she came across a flyer for DCSRN’s services in her apartment building. She called the office right away and became connected with her parent advocate. Jana wanted to tap into DCSRN’s in-depth knowledge about quality public schools in DC, and felt that conversations with her advocate gave her more insight regarding school culture, teacher quality, and the school’s academic performance, ultimately helping her make the best decision for her son Chase. Read their full story here.
Beceome a DCSRN Parent Advocate
DCSRN seeks outstanding applicants for the position of Parent Advocate. The Parent Advocate is part of a team responsible for implementing primary programming aimed at expanding access to quality public school options for DC students of historically underserved communities. Read the job description and send application materials to email@example.com
In Case You Missed It: Must Reads
- May 3—Commentary: East LA Parents Want Quality Public Schools, Regardless of School Type
- May 5—My Mom (and KIPP) Dont Just Hope For Me to Go to College, They Expect It
- May 16—Lessons On Race And Vouchers From Milwauke
- May 17—Trump first full education budget: Deep cuts to public school programs in pursuit in school choice
- May 19—You Don’t Know a School Until You Know Its Community: Lessons From a Charter School Principal
- May 1— I Will Stop at Nothing to Become an African-American Female Computer Scientist
- May 4—How Will The Washington Region Hold Its Schools Accountable For Student Learning?
- May 17—Can District Officials Restore Faith In The School Lottery?
- May 22—River Terrace Farmers Market Prepares Special Education Students For Jobs
- May 23—D.C. Teacher Wins $25,000 Education Award
- May 31—Mid-Year Teacher Resignations Plague DC Public Schools